- 1 Is Laser Hair Removal with the LightSheer Duet Safe for My Skin? Am I a Candidate for Laser Hair Removal?
- 2 Candidates for Laser Hair Removal Have:
- 3 The Science Behind LightSheer Duet’s Comfort and Safety, Explained
- 4 What areas can the Lightsheer treat for hair removal?
- 5 What Does Treatment Feel Like? Will it be Painful or Uncomfortable?
- 6 What do I Need to do to Prepare for Treatment with the LightSheer?
Comfortable Laser Hair Removal with Results that Inspire Confidence.
The LightSheer Duet offers a break-through innovation in the way that lasers are administered for hair removal, allowing it to more efficiently target hair follicles. This makes the laser safe for darker skin types, including African, Middle Eastern, Indian and Asian skin types IV, V, and VI which have traditionally been difficult to treat with lasers for hair removal1,2,3. The LightSheer Duet also features a unique vacuum-assisted handpiece with a larger spot size treatment, reducing treatment times by 50-75%.
Is Laser Hair Removal with the LightSheer Duet Safe for My Skin? Am I a Candidate for Laser Hair Removal?
The LightSheer Duet system has been studied extensively and proven safe on all skin types, including those with more melanin, or darker tone. The reason the LightSheer Duet system is safe for these skin tones lies in its unique vacuum-assisted technology for larger spot sizes, which is explained in more detail below.
Anyone who is a candidate for Laser Hair Removal is a candidate for LightSheer Duet’s treatments. However, at Reflections, we believe in matching you with the very best technology available for each treatment. In laser hair removal, this often means using different lasers at different stages of your treatment. Our physicians are constantly re-evaluating our laser hair removal patients to ensure we’re giving them the most effective treatments possible. For this reason, we have invested in all of the best lasers, and keep an array of laser hair removal technologies at each of our offices in Martinsville and Livingston, New Jersey.
Candidates for Laser Hair Removal Have:
Excess or unwanted hair that is not white, gray, or platinum blonde (your hair must be relatively darker than the skin that surrounds it in order for laser hair removal to work)
Not currently sunburnt or tanned within the last 2 weeks – sun damaged skin can be burnt by lasers if it still in recovery from a sunburn or tan. 2 weeks is sufficient time for healing from sun exposure. You should protect your skin from the sun during and after treatment with lasers by using sunscreen or protective clothing.
Committed to completing a series of laser treatments to remove their hair – Laser Hair Removal must be performed as a series of treatments because the follicles of your hair grow in different cycles. When one set is visible, another has recently shed itself and is regrowing. Treatments are spaced at the intervals of hair growth for that region of the body. Regular and timely treatments are the only way to effectively treat all of the hair in a given area.
The Science Behind LightSheer Duet’s Comfort and Safety, Explained
The vacuum gently draws skin into the handpiece for treatment. This pulls hair closer to the laser and stretches out the skin, pulling melanocytes (melanin-carrying cells) further apart. Since laser hair removal works by heating darker objects faster than lighter ones, these changes in how the skin is presented to the laser for treatment create less heat build-up in the melanocytes and more heat build-up in the hair. This makes it easier and safer to provide more energy per treatment to darker skin types. View the video below for a visualization of this process.
What areas can the Lightsheer treat for hair removal?
- Face, including chin, sideburns, upper lip/mustache, and cheeks
- Chest and abdomen/stomach including mid-line
- Arms and hands
- Legs, calves, thighs, and feet (toes)
- Bikini and genitals, including up to full brazilian for both genders
What Does Treatment Feel Like? Will it be Painful or Uncomfortable?
The LightSheer Duet features a unique suction-assisted handpiece which delivers a warming and cooling sensation, making the treatments very comfortable. In fact, treatment with the LightSheer is so comfortable that anesthetic (numbing) is not needed. Should a patient feel uncomfortable, however, we can provide a topical numbing cream that will numb the treatment area prior to the laser hair removal treatment.
What do I Need to do to Prepare for Treatment with the LightSheer?
You should avoid tanning for at least 2 weeks prior to treatment and throughout the treatment process. High SPF sunblock is suggested. You should also shave the treatment area 24-48 hours prior to treatment, for the most comfortable treatments possible.
1. Eliot F. Battle, Jr., MD and R. Rox Anderson, MD. Study of Very Long-Pulsed (100 ms) High-Powered Diode Laser for Hair Reduction on All Skin Types. Lumenis 2002
2. Atif Kazmi, MD. Laser Hair Removal with an 800nm Diode Laser-A Retrospective Study of 1000 Women with Skin Types II to VI. Lumenis 2002
3. Ganesh S. Pai, MD, Imran Majid, MD, Soni Nanda, MD, and Rahul Pillai, MD, Hair Removal Guidelines with LightSheer Technology over Skin of Color: Idian Study Case Report, 2009.