Bellafill is the first dermal filler to be approved by the FDA to treat acne scars. By filling in gaps in the collagen layer caused by cystic acne damage, Bellafill creates a natural, soft, and smooth appearance to the skin’s surface.
Bellafill is made of over 80% purified collagen. Logically, it makes sense that we would replace the lost collagen in these scars with new, injectable collagen.
Because Bellafill is not dissolvable and remains stable as your face changes with age around it, we only use it in very specific cases where we feel it will be able to not only create the result you want today, but be a result you love for many, many years to come.
Bellafill Quick Facts
- More Permanent Dermal Filler (lasts at least 5 years)
- Restores facial volume, Most Typically Used in Acne Scars
- Immediate, Natural-Looking Results
- Always Injected by Doctors Only at Reflections
Bellafill Injections For Acne Scarring
Bellafill is injected with a very fine needle during a comfortable procedure that requires no downtime. Bellafill injections are well tolerated and contains lidocaine in its formulation, providing local anesthetic during the injection process. You may notice slight swelling, redness, or bruising following Bellafill injections. These effects are temporary and don’t generally interfere with any activities. Avoid sunbathing, exercise, alcohol and cold outdoor activities for six hours after treatment.
- Recovery & Downtime: None – Very little to no swelling unless subcision is done at the same time
- Numbing: Injections are mixed with numbing medication
- Cost: Typically $750 – $1500
- Candidacy: +18 years
- Best for: patients with individual small pitted scars in areas of the face with low movement and little age-related changes
- Injected by: Doctors Only
Why Choose Reflections For Bellafill?
Where hyaluronic acid fillers, like Juvederm and Restylane, have an antidote of sorts, Bellafill does not. Careful placement by skilled, experienced hands are the key to creating a lasting look you love. Our physician injectors have been awarded Diamond-Level Injector Status, a designation reserved for the top 5% of injectors nationwide. Continuing education on the artful mastery of cutting-edge placement techniques keeps our physicians at the top of their game.
Bellafill is not right for everyone, or every acne scar. During your consultation, a physician will examine you and provide you with the best options for your acne scar treatment. If Bellafill is not a good option for your acne scar removal, Reflections offers many other treatments and technologies for improving the appearance of acne scars which may be a better fit.
With so many filler options out in the market, it can be a lot to process. We understand this concern and aim to provide you expert recommendations through a conversation with our team of award winning cosmetic & laser physicians. Don’t just live with acne scars – call us today to schedule a complimentary consultation!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Bellafill right for me?
Bellafill can help patients suffering from particular types of acne scars by replacing lost collagen and creating a smoother skin surface. The criteria for Bellafill treatment are nuanced and depend upon the actual structure of each of your scars, so a consultation with one of our physician injectors is recommended to determine which of your scars can benefit from Bellafill injections.
- What is treatment with Bellafill like?
Bellafill is injected with a very fine needle during a comfortable procedure that requires no downtime. Bellafill injections are well tolerated and contain lidocaine in their formulation, providing local anesthetic during the injection process. You may notice slight swelling, redness, or bruising following Bellafill injections. These effects are temporary and don’t generally interfere with any activities. Avoid sunbathing, exercise, alcohol, and cold outdoor activities for six hours after treatment.
- What should I do prior to treatment with Bellafill?
One week before Bellafill injections, avoid taking St. John’s wart, high doses of vitamin E, aspirin, Advil, Nuprin, and any other agents that increase bruising. If you are prone to cold sores, we may want to institute antiviral therapy before injecting near the lips. Bellafill should not be used in areas of active skin infection, including herpes outbreaks. Bellafill hasn’t been tested in pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- How much does Bellafill cost?
The cost for Bellafill at Reflections is $800 per syringe. Patients generally use a single syringe to treat acne scarring. However, an exact quote based on your treatment plan will be provided during your complimentary consultation with one of our expert physician injectors.
- What's the downtime after injection with Bellafill?
You won’t need to take time off from most of your regular activities, but you will need to avoid sunbathing, exercise, alcohol, and cold outdoor activities for six hours after treatment. With all dermal filler injections, there is a small risk of redness, swelling, and bruising. The experience and skill of our expert physician injectors help reduce these risks. In particular, the advanced cannula injection and micro-needle techniques used by our doctors reduce the risk of bruising and allow for more accurate and natural placement of the filler.
- How long does it take to see results of Bellafill, and how long does the effect last?
The beneficial effects of Bellafill are noticed immediately and are proven to last 5 years. Bellafill stimulates the body to produce collagen in the months that follow treatment, and the new collagen that you build is a long-lasting improvement.
- How does Bellafill compare to other dermal fillers when used in acne scars?
There are several types of dermal fillers on the market. The most popular ones are hyaluronic acid filers, like Juvederm and Restylane. In the past these fillers were used to correct acne scars, and while they do provide a nice smooth result, they only last a few months. Not only is it inconvenient, but it can also be expensive to use these types of fillers for acne scars.
Blog Topics on Bellafill Injections
1. Gottfried Lemperle, et. al., ArteFill® Permanent Injectable for Soft Tissue Augmentation: I. Mechanism of Action and Injection Techniques., Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2010 Jun;34(3):264–72.
2. Bellafill® [Instructions for Use]. San Diego, CA: Suneva Medical, Inc.; 2015.
3. Jacob CI, Dover JS, Kaminer MS. Acne scarring: A classification system and review of treatment options. J Am Acad Dermatol; July 2001; 109-117.
4. Haneke et al. Polymethyl Methacrylate Microspheres in Collagen. Semin Cutan Med Surg 23:227-232,2004.
5. Cohen et al. Artecoll: A Long-Lasting Injectable Wrinkle Filler Material: Report of a Controlled, Randomized, Multicenter Clinical Trial of 251 Subjects. Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 114: 964,2004.
6. American Academy of Dermatology, http://www.aad.org/media-resources/stats-and-facts/conditions/acne#.Uc2hG_nvt8F.
7. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, 2008, http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1748681508003951.
Dr. Mitchell Chasin founded Reflections Center for skin & body as a place where physicians specializing in cosmetic medicine could focus on helping empower patients to feel their most beautiful. Dr. Chasin believes strongly that the best cosmetic physicians are those who are dedicated to mastering their craft through continuing education and collaboration with the industry’s top doctors.