For so many patients, the effects of social habits, environmental exposures, and genetics have led to a neck that just doesn’t reflect how young they feel inside. A Necklift Provides Lasting Rejuvenation for Tired, Drooped, or Banded Necks
Does your neck give away your age? Oftentimes patients will mention feeling like their face looks young, but their neck looks old. They will say that they don’t like to facetime their family or wear collared shirts, because of how much attention these draw to their necks. Some will even resort to turtlenecks to hide what becomes a subconscious assault on their self-confidence. Neck creams, Botox, lasers, or other non-surgical procedures are often a good way to delay or treat early signs of an aging neck, but if you’re not getting the results that you hoped for, a necklift might be the right choice for you.
“My experience and the results achieved were Amazing! Now when I look in the mirror, I see a reflection that speaks of my young spirit! I don’t look “flattened” or “pulled”, I look refreshed.Thank you, Dr. Karolak!”
–Necklift patient Martasy on RealSelf.com
- 1 Building a Solid Foundation
- 2 BEFORE & AFTER PHOTOS
- 3 The Reflections Difference – Our Expert Physician Team
- 4 Combining Procedures for Maximum Results
- 5 Non Surgical Alternatives
- 6 Frequently Asked Question
- 6.1 Who is an ideal candidate for a neck lift?
- 6.2 What is recovery like after a neck lift?
- 6.3 What is the pain level during recovery from a neck lift?
- 6.4 What kind of scarring should I expect from a neck lift?
- 6.5 Will I have to go under with general anesthesia for a neck lift procedure?
- 6.6 What risks are associated with a neck lift?
- 6.7 What happens during the neck lift procedure?
- 6.8 Will my results from a neck lift last?
- 7 Be Transformed – Inside and Out!
Building a Solid Foundation
There are 3 types of changes that contribute to an older-looking neck and face:
- Skin Damage – wrinkles, uneven texture, and pigmentation changes, as well as skin laxity and thinning
- Sagging Muscles – loosening of connective tissues and loss of muscle tone
- Volume Changes – our necks tend to accumulate more fat as we age, while our faces tend to lose fat
A Necklift is the only procedure that addresses the changes in all three of these areas (skin, muscle, and fat). Your board certified facial plastic surgeon is able to tighten the muscles and connective tissues, remove excess fat both above and below the muscle, and then reduce skin laxity in a way that turns back the aging process to restore a more youthful, natural appearance .
How is the Procedure Performed?
Surgical correction of aging in the neck lays a foundation for years of improvement.
In general, the procedure is performed by first making a small incision in the natural crease under the chin, which allows the doctor to remove any excess fat above the muscle. Next, the two vertical bands of muscle are reconnected and tightened back to a youthful position. Any excess fat under the muscle can be removed at the same time. Finally, if there is excess skin, it may gently trimmed away by using very thin incisions that are hidden in a natural skin crease and behind the ear for a smoother, toned look. The location of your incisions as well as the details that are specific to your unique aging pattern will be discussed by your board certified facial plastic surgeon at your personalized consultation.
BEFORE & AFTER PHOTOS
The Reflections Difference – Our Expert Physician Team
Dr. Mark Karolak, a board certified facial plastic surgeon, has dedicated his professional career to mastering the art of facial and neck rejuvenating surgeries. He focuses on not only the fine details and artful techniques that create the most natural results, but also on improving the safety and reliability of surgical techniques.
With over 10 years experience in facial rejuvenation surgery and thousands of happy patients, Dr. Karolak has recently been recognized as one of America’s Top Facial Plastic Surgeons by the Consumers’ Research Council of America.
Our expert plastic surgery team works collaboratively within our multi-specialty physician team to select the right procedures, providers, and treatment plan for each patient. Our team approach allows our physicians to draw on the expertise of industry leaders in all facets of cosmetic surgery, and in combination with our wide assortment of devices, allows us to hand select not only an effective treatment, but the very best treatment for your physiology, aging patterns, and lifestyle.
Combining Procedures for Maximum Results
Pairing procedures allows patients to achieve multiple cosmetic goals in one treatment and to reduce overall downtime, as healing takes place simultaneously. A necklift can bring about more comprehensive change when paired with a lower facelift to address sagging along the jawline and through the cheeks, CO2 Fractional Ablative Laser Skin Rejuvenation to address fine lines and wrinkles as well as sun damage, liposculpting for a leaner, sculpted neck, or an array of other facial plastic surgery treatments for other cosmetic concerns.
Our facial plastic surgeons are careful to create natural, beautiful results that will leave others wondering what has you looking so refreshed, not what procedures you’ve had done. Our gallery of before and afters are a testament to the skill and artistry our team prides itself in providing for each and every one of our patients.
Non Surgical Alternatives
A necklift is the most comprehensive treatment for neck rejuvenation, and the only treatment that allows us to address all 3 causes of an older-looking neck – sagging muscles, excess fat, and loose skin. However, for those with only one or two of these concerns, or who are simply opposed to a surgical procedure of any kind, Reflections does offer a variety of non-invasive and minimally invasive options, such as:
- ThermiTight injectable radio frequency allows for targeted tightening of the skin throughout the neck. This is a good minimally invasive option for those with moderate to mild skin laxity and no real concerns about fat or muscle changes.
- Exilis offers radio frequency in a non-invasive procedure that reduces excess fat, smoothes away wrinkles, and tightens the skin over a series of treatments. This is a treatment that works well for those for whom down-time isn’t a possibility.
- Ultherapy captures the power of micro-targeted ultrasound for lifting. This non-invasive technology creates a lifted look that develops over several months, so it’s well suited for those for whom down-time isn’t a possibility, and who wish to have the most discreet results possible.
- Laser Liposuction is a minimally invasive procedure for removing excess fat and tightening loose skin throughout the neck. This procedure has shortened downtimes when compared to a neck lift, and does not address muscle change.
- Kybella is an injectable fat reduction product that was specifically formulated to target the fat under the chin. Over a series of treatments, the patient will see a dramatic decrease in the amount of excess fat in this area. Kybella works best for those with only a moderate or mild degree of skin laxity.
Frequently Asked Question
Who is an ideal candidate for a neck lift?
Almost anyone who wants to see dramatic rejuvenation of their neck is a good candidate for a necklift. In general, the ideal candidate is someone who:
- Has both skin and muscle laxity in their neck (vertical neck bands, a “turkey wattle” , or a “double chin”)
- is willing to achieve maximal improvement in the neck through surgery
- is medically eligible
What is recovery like after a neck lift?
Every care will be taken to ensure your discomfort and downtime are minimized while your results are maximized.
You should plan for a few days rest immediately following your procedure. You will leave the office with a temporary compression garment that you will not remove for two days. You will follow-up with the doctor on the day after surgery to have the temporary compression garment changed and to be fitted for a compression garment that will be worn only at night starting about 48 hours after surgery. This will help minimize swelling and speed up the recovery process. You will wear this until the night after your one week follow up visit. Most patients feel “restaurant ready” and comfortable returning to their normal activities within 3-5 days after surgery. Exercise and strenuous activity must be avoided for 14 days. Bruising and swelling are usually minimal. During the days when patients might experience bruising, makeup can be worn to disguise the discoloration. Our physicians have long histories of making recoveries as comfortable and easy as possible.
What is the pain level during recovery from a neck lift?
With most of the surgeries we perform, there is usually little to no discomfort afterwards. You can expect that you will feel a tightness in your neck following the procedure, but it will come to feel natural within a few days after surgery.
What kind of scarring should I expect from a neck lift?
Our physicians believe natural-looking results include discreet incisions well disguised in natural folds. Artful placement of incision lines, a gentle surgical technique, and skilled suturing are key in minimizing scar appearance. Dr. Karolak’s focus in aesthetic facial plastic surgery has afforded him the time to master natural looking results.
We’d love to show you what we mean: Click here to view Our Healing Photo Gallery
Will I have to go under with general anesthesia for a neck lift procedure?
One of the greatest advantages our facial plastic surgery team offers is the ability to forgo general anesthesia, which poses additional risks and concerns for many patients. Instead, our patients enjoy a local anesthesia experience that can only be found at Reflections , which we refer to as Comfort Calm™ Local Anesthesia. Patients are comfortable and relaxed, with no sensation other than light pressure or touch during the procedure. We offer the option to watch television, listen to your favorite music, or even take a nap during the procedure, whichever makes you feel most comfortable.
What risks are associated with a neck lift?
We pride ourselves on our safety record. Your plastic surgeon will make sure to go through all of the potential risks with you and answer any questions you have about your specific situation. Each patient is different, and we want to be able to speak to your specific health concerns individually. However, you should know Reflections is meticulous and has an excellent safety record.
What happens during the neck lift procedure?
After you have relaxed with Comfort Calm Anesthesia™ in our private surgical suite, Dr. Karolak will begin by making an incision just below the chin, in the natural crease. He will first liposculpt the neck and jawline. Next, he will tighten and realign the muscle structures that have loosened with aging. In many cases fat will be removed from under the muscle. Finally, he will remove any excess skin if needed and then suture the incisions. The whole procedure usually takes about 60 – 90 minutes.
Will my results from a neck lift last?
By addressing the underlying structural changes caused by the aging process, a necklift makes changes that will ensure you’ll always look better than if you hadn’t had the surgery at all. Over time, you may find great benefit from procedures, which before your neck lift, would have given only minimal to negligible results.
Be Transformed – Inside and Out!
At Reflections, our expert physicians will customize proven treatments to meet your cosmetic goals. You will love your new, improved neck!