Juvederm® is made of hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring substance in the body that helps to hydrate and add volume to the skin.
JUVEDERM® Ultra and Ultra Plus, are smooth, injectable dermal fillers that help to instantly restore your skin’s volume, smoothing away facial wrinkles and creases, like the nasolabial folds that run from the bottom of the nose to the corners of the mouth. JUVÉDERM Ultra Plus is more robust, giving us the ability to better treat deeper folds and wrinkles. It may last a bit longer, as well.
“From the very first treatment with Juvederm, I could see a dramatic difference in the way I looked… It has been over a year now & the results are dramatic, incredible, & natural! People tell me I look absolutely amazing & mistake me for being in my twenties!”
–Anonymous Patient of Reflections, on RateMDs.com
- 1 What areas can be treated with JUVEDERM?
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
- 2.1 What makes JUVEDERMdifferent than other dermal fillers?
- 2.2 How long do the results last?
- 2.3 How is JUVEDERM® different from BOTOX® COSMETIC?
- 2.4 Is treatment with JUVEDERM® injectable gel painful, and is downtime required after treatment?
- 2.5 What are the possible side effects of JUVEDERM?
- 2.6 What are the pretreatment recommendations?
- 2.7 Can people with different skin tones/colors be treated with JUVEDERM?
- 2.8 Why should I choose the physicians of Reflections for dermal filler?
What areas can be treated with JUVEDERM?
JUVEDERM injectable gel will help smooth moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds and create fuller lips (see lip augmentation)1. The most common uses include:
- Wrinkle correction
- Diminishing worry lines, smile lines (nasolabial folds), crow’s feet, marionette lines at corners of the mouth (oral commissures), and smoker’s lines (vertical lip lines)
- Lip enhancement
- Reducing the severity of nasolabial folds
- Chin augmentation
- Filling cheek depressions
- Redefining lip border
- Softening acne scars
- Filling hollows under the eyes
- Creating a temporary eyebrow lift
- Correcting facial depressions caused by fat loss
- Softening the appearance of jowls
It takes 15 to 20 minutes to perform JUVÉDERM® injections. The results are immediate and actually improve over the following week.
Frequently Asked Questions
What makes JUVEDERMdifferent than other dermal fillers?
JUVEDERM® has a high concentration of cross-linked hyaluronic acid that is responsible for the longevity of results. Because the gel is smooth in consistency, this provides for a natural feel in the skin1.
How long do the results last?
The FDA recently cleared JUVEDERM® for longevity of one year1. Some individuals may find the result begins to wane after about six months and additional treatment is required. Part of what determines the longevity is whether sufficient volume was used initially to correct the volume defect. Ideal results may require using more than one syringe of JUVEDERM®. For budgetary reasons sometimes only one syringe is utilized initially, with the understanding that the results of the first treatment will not last as they would otherwise. To maintain the ideal result it may only take one syringe in the future2.
How is JUVEDERM® different from BOTOX® COSMETIC?
JUVEDERM® is used to treat wrinkles and folds resulting from a loss of volume beneath the surface of the skin, such as in the nasolabial folds. BOTOX® Cosmetic relaxes muscle activity and is used to treat moderate-to-severe lines caused by repetitive muscle activity. Common areas where BOTOX is used include the area between the eyebrows (the glabellar area), the crow’s feet region, and in the forehead. It is very common for JUVEDERM® and BOTOX to be used in combination for long-lasting, exciting results.
Is treatment with JUVEDERM® injectable gel painful, and is downtime required after treatment?
JUVEDERM® injections are tolerated quite well. Some patients desire pre-treatment with topical anesthetic. For lip enhancement we recommend local anesthetic injections similar to what a dentist provides. There is no discomfort after the procedure. If there is mild swelling or bruising, this is generally short lived.
What are the possible side effects of JUVEDERM?
Most side effects are mild in nature, and their duration is short lasting (five days or less). The most common side effects include, but are not limited to, temporary injection site reactions such as: redness, pain/tenderness, firmness, swelling, lumps/bumps, bruising, itching, and discoloration. As with all skin injection procedures, there is a risk of infection. Complications are very rare with JUVEDERM1.
What are the pretreatment recommendations?
One week before injections, we suggest avoiding St. John’s Wort, high doses of vitamin E, aspirin (unless prescribed by physician), Advil, Nuprin, and other agents that can increase bruising. If you are prone to cold sores, we may want to institute antiviral therapy, such as Famvir or Valtrex. There is no pre-treatment allergy skin test required before the use of JUVEDERM.
Can people with different skin tones/colors be treated with JUVEDERM?
JUVEDERM injectable gel was the first FDA-approved hyaluronic acid dermal filler to be proven safe and effective for dark, tan, and olive skin tones. Studies with JUVEDERM showed no increased risk of hyperpigmentation or hypertrophic scarring in patients of color3.
Why should I choose the physicians of Reflections for dermal filler?
Dermal filler injections are one of the most common procedures performed at Reflections. We utilize all of the FDA-approved fillers and are thus able to tailor a treatment to your needs. Some of the fillers offered include Restylane, Restylane Silk, Restylane Lyft (previously Perlane), JUVEDERM, JUVEDERM Ultra Plus, Voluma, Sculptra, Radiesse, Belotero,and Bellafil (previously Artefil).
The physicians will discuss the specific advantages and uses of each of these products and work together with you to decide the best treatment option. The filler to be utilized for you will be based on depth of creases, location to be used, longevity, cost, as well as other factors.
1. Juvederm FDA Clearance http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf5/p050047a.pdf
2. Annelyse C Ballin, Alex Cazzaniga, and Fredric S Brandt; Long-term efficacy, safety and durability of Juvéderm® XC; Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2013; 6: 183–189.Published online 2013 Aug 5. doi: 10.2147/CCID.S33568
3. Grimes, P. E., Thomas, J. A. and Murphy, D. K. (2009), Safety and effectiveness of hyaluronic acid fillers in skin of color. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, 8: 162–168. doi: 10.1111/j.1473-2165.2009.00457.
*Results May Vary from patient to patient. Juvederm is one of many FDA-Approved dermal fillers. Each filler has its own strengths, weaknesses, risks, and best uses. Our expert injectors do not recommend Juvederm for all patients, or in all cases. We feel selecting the filler to best suit your needs and desires is best done by a physician who specializes in dermal filler injectors, after an in-person examination. Your consultation will include a discussion about realistic expectations and recommendations for treating your concerns.