PRP for Hair Loss works to help your body grow new, thicker hair. So the results are natural and long-lasting.
Platelet-Rich Plasma(PRP) injections and microneedling have become cutting-edge tools for restoring hair for those that have hair loss or hair thinning. Unlike prescription medications or hair transplants, PRP therapy works to help your body reactive its inactive hair follicles and grow brand-new hair with a thicker diameter, just like when you were younger, using cells from your own blood.
“Everytime that I visit Reflections I feel like I’m meeting up with friends and family. Always welcoming from beginning to end! All questions and concerns answered respectively and clearly and I always leave with a smile on my face!”
– Jennifer N. on Smile Reminder
- 1 Benefits of PRP for Hair Loss
- 2 BEFORE & AFTER PHOTOS
- 3 A Science-Based Approach to Replacing the Hair You’ve Lost
- 4 Hair Restoration with PRP Therapy
- 5 PRP Hair Treatment Results
- 6 PRP Hair Loss Treatment Cost
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions About PRP Injections for Hair Restoration
- 7.1 How many treatments will I need with PRP injection therapy for hair loss?
- 7.2 When will I start to see results from my treatments?
- 7.3 What is the treatment process like?
- 7.4 Is there downtime? Will anyone be able to tell I’ve had this procedure?
- 7.5 Is this treatment safe for me and my skin type?
- 7.6 Will I need anesthesia or numbing?
- 7.7 Will this treatment hurt?
- 7.8 How can I make the most of my PRP injection therapy?
- 7.9 What alternative treatment options do I have?
- 7.10 How do PRP injections work?
- 7.11 How to get thicker hair?
- 7.12 What is PRP therapy?
- 7.13 How can I regrow hair?
- 7.14 How long does PRP last?
- 8 Why Choose Reflections Center?
Benefits of PRP for Hair Loss
- Grow your own thicker hair1, so that the results that you see are completely natural and very long-lasting. So that you never have to feel embarrassed or self-conscious about covering up thin hair or a bald spot again. Instead, we’re going to grow new, thicker hair, and it’s going to be your own hair.
- Your hairline will be completely natural – because we’re not transplanting in new hair, your hair should return in all the normal places, for a natural result.
- There is no downtime with PRP for hair loss, or any of the other treatment options we offer. This means you won’t need to make plans to hide your treatments from others while you recover after any procedure. Instead, these treatments fit easily into any schedule.
- We typically recommend a combination of therapies for hair loss – some prescription medications and some treatments. Because our physicians have a deep understanding of the causes of hair loss and how to best treat them, we see patients not only grow new hair to replace what they had lost but prevent more hair loss or thinning in the future.
BEFORE & AFTER PHOTOS
A Science-Based Approach to Replacing the Hair You’ve Lost
PRP injection therapy is incredibly effective for androgenic hair loss, or “male/female pattern hair loss,” which is not caused by an underlying medical illness.
Reflections Center is dedicated to offering our patients natural-looking results using the latest scientifically-proven treatments. To understand the science of restoring hair, you need to first understand what causes hair loss. Once you understand what caused the hair to thin or stop growing altogether, then you can start to understand why some treatments will work, and others will not. To learn about the science behind hair thinning and hair loss, please visit our hair loss page.
We do use a combination of approaches to treat most hair loss. This typically includes some combination of:
- Prescription Medications, most often including things like monoxidil, finasteride, and/or viviscal
- PRP Injections with or without Microneedling
Hair Restoration with PRP Therapy
PRP has been shown to cause hair to grow more densely and more thickly in numerous studies1,2,3,4,5. This makes it a superior treatment for thinning and balding hair. Hair grafting therapy removes hair from one area and spreads it out, to fill in empty patches, but this often means sparse, spread out hair shafts. In contrast, PRP injections help more hair fill in the thin or empty pockets.
Hair Loss Treatment Using Stem Cells
Stem cell therapy is not the same thing as PRP, although many people are confusing the two. PRP contains the growth and healing building blocks from your own blood, distilled down for a concentrated effect. But stem cells are different. These are cells that haven’t decided what type of cell they will be yet, and are therefore able to become any cell your body might need. You do have stem cells in your own body, even as an adult. They are most easily harnessed from the fat around your midsection using a process called Nanofat, but so far studies haven’t proved these are effective for growing new hair. That may be something that we find out about in the near future, but for now, there is no scientific basis to claim that stem cell therapy works for hair restoration, and PRP injections aren’t technically stem cell injections.
However, many studies have shown that PRP is very effective for both increasing hair thickness and for generating the growth of more hair1,2,3,4,5. That’s why we’re excited to offer our patients this ground-breaking treatment in both of our New Jersey offices, located in Livingston, and the Martinsville section of Bridgewater.
PRP Hair Treatment Results
Platelet-Rich Plasma(PRP) harnesses the growth and healing factors from your own blood to help your body grow new, healthy cells. When injected into the scalp, it has been shown to grow thicker hair strands, as well as more active hair follicles for denser, thicker hair overall. To learn more about how PRP works, please visit our Platelet-Rich Plasma Page.
PRP Hair Loss Treatment Cost
Every patient will need a series of PRP injections to see the best results for hair restoration and growth. Our pricing reflects our desire to see patients complete the full recommended series, so they can see the very best results. Typically, patients are recommended to undergo 6 treatments in their first year, so for those who commit to this plan, we offer a buy 5 get 1 free deal.
- $975 or $1,375 for a single session (depending upon the size of the area treated)
- $2,650 or $3725 for a package of 3 sessions (depending upon the size of the area treated)
- $4875 or $6875 for a package of 6 sessions [Buy 5, get 1 free!] (depending upon the size of the area treated)
Frequently Asked Questions About PRP Injections for Hair Restoration
How many treatments will I need with PRP injection therapy for hair loss?
Typically, we recommend a series of 3 treatments, spaced 2-4 weeks apart twice in the first year, and then repeated as a 3 treatment series every year thereafter. This treatment plan acknowledges that in order to maintain results, patients will need to fight continued hair loss throughout the future, as well. We do offer great package-pricing discounts to help make this procedure more affordable.
When will I start to see results from my treatments?
Patients can expect to see results developing around 3 to 4 months after their first treatment, which should continue to improve for the next 1-2 years. Hair loss is often a progressive condition, meaning it worsens over time. So we do recommend patients come back to re-treat every 6-12 months, to combat any future hair loss.
What is the treatment process like?
After you and your cosmetic physician decide that PRP injections are the right treatment choice, the actual procedure will be very quick and easy. First, we’ll draw some of your blood. Then, we’ll use a specialized process to isolate and concentrate the growth and healing factors from your blood, creating the PRP. Finally, the doctor will inject the PRP into your scalp, using a very fine needle, to complete the treatment. The entire process takes about 30 minutes to complete so its something you can easily squeeze into your lunch break or on your way home after work.
Is there downtime? Will anyone be able to tell I’ve had this procedure?
There is no downtime or recovery period needed after your PRP injections. You may have some redness at the injection sites, just like with any injection. This is usually very temporary and subsides quickly. Patients don’t typically need to take any special precautions or camouflage the area to maintain their privacy about the treatment, either.
Is this treatment safe for me and my skin type?
PRP injections make the most of your own body’s natural ability to heal itself, so it’s completely safe for all skin types and hair types.
Will I need anesthesia or numbing?
No, you won’t need to have any anesthesia or numbing for this procedure. We do offer numbing options for all patients, but because this treatment is so quick and easy, it has not been something we’ve ever needed to use numbing for.
Will this treatment hurt?
PRP extraction and re-injection require a series of needle pricks, but it is no worse than getting your blood drawn and Botox injections. We do everything we can to ensure our patients have the most comfortable experience possible and can provide anxiety-relieving options for those who feel uncomfortable with this procedure.
How can I make the most of my PRP injection therapy?
Here are 2 key steps to take to make the most out of your PRP treatments for hair loss or thinning:
- Choose a doctor who is experienced with PRP (i.e. performs these treatments frequently and regularly): There are some very important differences between a physician who has the top-of-the-line PRP concentration tools and the experience to effectively administer the injections and those that do not. You want to pick a physician with the right skills, tools, and experience to get you the best results possible.
- Multi-Therapy Approach: Most patients do much better on some combination of PRP injections, prescription medications, and/or supplements. As the patient, it’s your job to take your prescribed medications and schedule your treatments along the prescribed timeline, so that you get the very best results.
What alternative treatment options do I have?
Most patients do better on some combination of treatments for hair restoration, but sometimes these treatments are sold as alternatives to PRP for hair loss:
- Hair Transplant Surgery (A.K.A. Hair Grafting)
- Prescription Medication – including pills and topical medications (often includes brands like finasteride or minoxidil)
How do PRP injections work?
PRP, or platelet rich plasma, comes from your own blood and helps the body heal from injuries while containing potent growth factors. In recent years, PRP therapy has been commonly used in medical aesthetics for the regeneration of the skin and hair.
People who are looking for natural alternative treatments for skin revitalization as well as volume loss, scars, wrinkles and uneven texture are turning to PRP therapy. During your treatment, your surgeon will collect a few vials of blood from your arm which is then spun in the centrifuge to separate the plasma and platelet. This plasma rich platelet contains growth factors which is then re injected into the required areas of your body.
The many benefits of PRP therapy include tissue regeneration, collagen growth and speeding up the natural repair process of your skin. It can be used on your face, arms, decollette, back, scalp, neck, hands, legs and abdomen.
How to get thicker hair?
With so many people struggling with hair thinning and hair loss today, there are several options available to deal with this socially crippling concern. An experienced physician will understand the cause of your hair problems before offering a combination of treatments to deal with it. Typically, an experienced hair restoration center will offer you a combination of medication, laser hair restoration and stem cell hair restoration in addition to other treatments that not only stop your hair fall or thinning but also boost regrowth with a thicker and fuller mane.
One of the most advantageous treatments, when you wish to get a naturally thicker hair, is the PRP therapy. Platelet Rich Plasma or PRP injections together with microneedling activates the inactive hair follicles to grow new hair with a thicker diameter. This growth is completely natural since your own cells are used and no hair transplant is required with this hair restoration treatment. Stem cell restoration also offers results that are natural and long lasting with no downtime.
What is PRP therapy?
If you are facing hair thinning or hair loss, then PRP therapy together with microneedling has become a state-of-the-art tool for hair restoration. Various studies have shown that PRP hair restoration leads to the growth of hair that is denser and thicker. That is why it has become a superior treatment for hair that is thinning and balding. When the popular hair grafting method is used, it only leads to sparse hair that is spread out since it transplants hair to the empty patches.
PRP is Platelet-rich plasma that uses the healing and growth factors from your own blood in order to grow new and healthy cells. When it is injected into your scalp, it leads to the growth of more active hair follicles and thicker hair strands. Another advantage is that your hair will return naturally to all the areas of the head, giving you natural results. When you consult experienced PRP hair restoration physicians, they mostly combine your restoration with prescription medication that prevents hair thinning or loss in combination with the new hair growth. There is no downtime with this procedure, so you do not have to hide your treatment during the recovery period or take time off work. The beneficial PRP hair restoration seamlessly fits into your lifestyle and schedule.
How can I regrow hair?
Today, a large number of men and women are struggling with hair thinning and hair loss. Not everybody is suffering from this due to aging, however, since for most it is genetic androgenic hair loss, which is also called male/ female pattern hair loss. Most experienced cosmetic physicians use a combination of procedures like PRP microneedling or medication regimens to help you with non-surgical hair restoration.
PRP is an effective method for non-surgical hair restoration with which you grow your own thicker hair. This means your results are natural and long-lasting wherein your hair will experience normal, natural growth. There is no downtime with this method, which means you do not have to take time off of work or school. PRP is one non-surgical hair restoration treatment that leads to dense and thick hair growth, and this makes it a beneficial treatment for hair showing the beginning signs of thinning or loss.
Hair grafting transfers hair follicles from an area with sufficient hair, like the back of the scalp, to empty patches in the balding area. PRP injections, on the other hand, help natural hair regrow in the thinning areas or in the empty pockets. A combination of these treatments is a great option for both increasing the thickness of hair and for generating more hair. You will need a series of PRP injections to see optimal results from the therapy and usually, it is recommended that you undergo 6 treatment sessions spread out throughout the year. You will see your results within 3 to 4 months after their first session and this keeps improving over the next year or two.
Another non-surgical hair restoration method is stem cell therapy. These stem cells are usually collected from the fat around your abdomen and can be effective in hair regrowth. Since hair loss is a progressive condition, it is advised to re-treat the condition once or twice a year to maintain your results and prevent any future hair loss.
How long does PRP last?
PRP hair loss treatment can improve hair growth for about 4 to 6 weeks and requires multiple treatment sessions, as often as monthly. When PRP is combined with ECMs like BioD or ACell, the effects of the therapy are stronger and the results last longer as well. It can take about 6 to 12 months to visually judge the results of your PRP hair loss treatment. For this reason, dermatologists measure improvement in Hair Mass Index using devices like HairCheck. Measurements are taken every 3 months in order to track the plateau of your improvement. When the hair mass index begins to decline, your next PRP session will be planned. Usually, patients will require a PRP with ECM session annually to retain their results.
When you are undergoing PRP without ECM, it’s recommended that you undergo about 6 treatment sessions which are spread throughout the year. With these continued sessions, you can see your results from the treatment within 3 to 4 months from the first session. Your results will keep getting better over the next year or two. Hair loss treatments offer optimal and longer lasting results when they are used in combination with each other. Your dermatologist will recommend the most suitable PRP hair loss combinations for you depending on several factors like the severity of your hair loss, whether it is hereditary, and the plateau phase of your improvement.
For instance, microneedling helps deliver PRP injections deeper into the scalp. PRP is a non-surgical hair loss treatment with no downtime that offers you natural hair regrowth and results that last longer than a surgical procedure.
Why Choose Reflections Center?
Reflections Center has been New Jersey’s top cosmetic clinic for over 20 years. Our team of dedicated cosmetics-only physicians practices cutting-edge medicine that helps you look and feel your best. Because we devote our entire practice to cosmetic medicine, we’re able to master the nuances of these procedures that allow us to achieve the most natural and amazing results for our patients.
Contact us to schedule your free consultation for PRP Injections and Hair Loss Treatment today!
- Muhammad Ahmad MD Effect of platelet-rich plasma on scalp hair diameter First published: 23 February 2018 in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology
- Gentile P1, Garcovich S2, Bielli A3, Scioli MG3, Orlandi A3, Cervelli V4.; The Effect of Platelet-Rich Plasma in Hair Regrowth: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial Stem Cells Transl Med. 2015 Nov;4(11):1317-23. doi: 10.5966/sctm.2015-0107. Epub 2015 Sep 23.
- Giordano S1,2, Romeo M3, Lankinen P4.; Platelet-rich plasma for androgenetic alopecia: Does it work? Evidence from meta analysis J Cosmet Dermatol. 2017 Sep;16(3):374-381. doi: 10.1111/jocd.12331. Epub 2017 Mar 13.
- Jha AK1, Udayan UK1, Roy PK1, Amar AKJ1, Chaudhary RKP1.; Platelet-rich plasma with microneedling in androgenetic alopecia along with dermoscopic pre- and post-treatment evaluation J Cosmet Dermatol. 2017 Aug 3. doi: 10.1111/jocd.12394
- Tawfik AA1, Osman MAR1.; The effect of autologous activated platelet-rich plasma injection on female pattern hair loss: A randomized placebo-controlled study J Cosmet Dermatol. 2018 Feb;17(1):47-53. doi: 10.1111/jocd.12357. Epub 2017 May 14.