- 1 What is Liposuction?
- 2 BEFORE & AFTER PHOTOS
- 3 Types of Liposuction: The Techniques and Tools
- 4 Anesthesia’s Effects on Liposuction Recovery, Risks, and Results
- 5 NJ Liposuction Pricing: Areas Treated with Approximate Price Ranges
Liposuction can help you lose those stubborn problem areas that defy diet and exercise, in a single treatment.
If you struggle with stubborn body fat, liposuction can help you create the shape and contours you’ve always wanted. From the “spare tire” around your midsection to bra rolls to knee fat, liposuction can be used to remove any unwanted fat from nearly any location on the body, in a single treatment.
“I get compliments everywhere I go and it’s all because of him! Lipo was such an easy and painless experience and he talked me through the entire procedure. 2 years later and I (still) have amazing curves that I had lost from pregnancies…”
– tobin0324 on RealSelf.com
What is Liposuction?
Liposuction is a procedure which loosens and then suctions out fat cells. It can be used to create a completely different body shape or to sculpt specific areas. There are several different techniques and tools available for performing liposuction today, and Reflections offers a variety of the best of these options so that we are able to select the right tools to create the very best results for each individual.
The next step is to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our liposuction doctors.
BEFORE & AFTER PHOTOS
Types of Liposuction: The Techniques and Tools
Many times patients get stuck on what tool or technique is being used to create the results. We firmly believe a good result is 80% physician skill and 20% the tools being used. That having been said, there are certain tools which make certain kinds of liposuction results easier to achieve, and which offer the patient other benefits in terms of safety and downtime.
Traditional liposuction is performed with a metal cannula, without any assistance from vibration, lasers, or other technologies. This technique removes fat through vigorous strokes of the cannula, which break apart the fat and tissues, which are then suctioned out. This was the only technique for liposuction for decades, and because of the concern for complications, liposuction wasn’t as popular during this time. Traditional liposuction is performed under general anesthesia and patients can expect lengthy recovery following the procedure due to extensive bruising.
Power-Assisted Liposuction (PAL) is a technique which uses vibration to loosen up fat cells for a much gentler removal process than traditional liposuction. A small blunt-tip instrument (micro-cannula) is used to remove the fat, which minimizes damage to surrounding tissues and blood vessels, making for less bruising and an easier recovery.
We often combine PAL with other styles of liposuction, to achieve the results our patients are looking for. PAL is a great tool for fibrous, dense fat, such as bra and back rolls. It can also be mixed in as the suction step of a laser liposuction procedure or used to harvest fat for fat transfer procedures.
S.A.F.E. Liposuction refers to a special technique using Power-Assisted Liposuction to ensure smooth results and minimized downtime. S.A.F.E. stands for Separation, Aspiration, and Fat Equalization. This describes the steps in the process: First, the area to be treated is numbed with dilute local anesthetic using a specialized instrument that softens the fat in the area. The fat cells are then separated from the surrounding tissues using vibration and aspirated (suctioned out) using power-assisted liposuction (PAL). The vibrations break up the fat for easy suction without damage to the surrounding tissues. Next, the Fat Equalization process shifts the remaining fat cells around to create a smooth result. This markedly reduces the risks of dimples and ripples.1
Laser liposuction is a style of liposuction that combines heat or ultrasonic energy to loosen up fat cells and/or tighten the skin. There are many different brands of laser liposuction, including Smartlipo (Triplex is the newest version), SlimLipo, CoolLipo, ProLipo, LipoLite, LipoTherme, SmoothLipo, and Vaser Hi-Def. Our favorites are Smart Lipo Triplex, the newest Smartlipo system which includes upgrades to the lasers and automated safety controls and Slim Lipo.
is regarded by most as the gold standard for laser liposuction, this system that offers 3 different wavelengths of laser energy to gently sculpt the body and tighten and tone skin.
is respected for its long safety record and ability to achieve consistent results.
is a different type of liposuction that uses ultrasonic sound waves to gently break up fat before it’s suctioned out. Because it’s gentle ultrasound waves don’t destroy the actual fat cells in the harvesting process, it’s become a favorite tool for fat transfer procedures.
Anesthesia’s Effects on Liposuction Recovery, Risks, and Results
For over 2 decades, our leading liposuction physicians have advocated that tumescent liposuction techniques (use of local anesthesia while patients are awake) provide a safer alternative to general anesthesia, with clinical research supporting this claim.2 We continue to provide all of our liposuction surgeries exclusively under local anesthesia for the following reasons:
- Patient Safety: General anesthesia introduces its own set of risks into any procedure, which we can avoid by using local anesthesia instead. Additionally, the local anesthetic we use has antibacterial properties, which dramatically reduces the risk of infection.
- Reduced Recovery Time and Intensity: The local anesthesia medications we inject into the treated area helps to restrict blood vessels in the area. This reduces blood loss, bruising, and pain during recovery. This creates an easier and faster recovery post-procedure than traditional liposuction techniques, which frequently leave patients very bruised and sore for several weeks.
- Better Results and Smoother Contours: Our patients are able to move and even stand during surgery because they are awake throughout the procedure and fully numbed. This dramatically improves the accuracy of the procedure. Having our patients move during the treatment also allows our physicians to view the results from all angles before completing the procedure, giving us a preview of the results that surgeons who operate under general anesthesia aren’t able to have. We credit this with our ability to achieve consistently amazing results with liposuction.
NJ Liposuction Pricing: Areas Treated with Approximate Price Ranges
- Wall, Simeon H.M.D., Lee, Michael R. M.D.; Separation, Aspiration, and Fat Equalization: SAFE Liposuction Concepts for Comprehensive Body Contouring; Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery: December 2016
- Klein, Jeffrey A. M.D.; Tumescent Technique for Local Anesthesia Improves Safety in Large-Volume Liposuction; Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery: November 1993
Dr. Mitchell Chasin founded Reflections Center for skin & body as a place where physicians specializing in cosmetic medicine could focus on helping empower patients to feel their most beautiful. Dr. Chasin believes strongly that the best cosmetic physicians are those who are dedicated to mastering their craft through continuing education and collaboration with the industry’s top doctors.